By Martin Whittingham
This booklet is the 1st of its type to concentration solely at the Qur’anic interpretation of Abu Hamid al-Ghazali (1058-1111), a towering determine of Sunni Islam. Martin Whittingham explores either al-Ghazali’s hermeneutical equipment and his interpretations of specific Quranic texts, and covers al-Ghazali’s mystical, criminal and theological concerns.
Divided into parts:
- part one examines al-Ghazali’s criminal and Sufi theoretical discussions
- part asks how those theories relate to his perform, analysing the one 3 of al-Ghazali’s works that are centrally excited by studying specific Qur’anic passages: Jawahir al-Qur’an (The Jewels of the Qur’an); Al-Qist as al-mustaqim (The right Balance); and Mishkat al-anwar (The area of interest for Lights).
Providing a brand new aspect of entry to the works of al-Ghazali, this booklet may be welcomed by way of students and scholars of Islamic reviews, spiritual stories, hermeneutics, and an individual drawn to how Muslims comprehend the Qur’an.
Read or Download Al-Ghazali and the Qur'an: One Book, Many Meanings (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East) PDF
Best religious philosophy books
Embodiment, Morality and drugs offers with the relevance of `embodiment' to bioethics, contemplating either the ancient improvement and modern views at the mind--body relation. The emphasis of all authors is at the value of the physique in defining own id in addition to at the position of social context in shaping adventure of the physique.
Mainstream psychology emanated from European-American and Judeo-Christian philosophical and clinical traditions. the appliance of this perspective, which embeds colonial and imperialist ideas is much less proper to Asian and different indigenous cultures. even though it has been authorised by means of non-Western students in an try to emulate Western clinical perform, the mainstream point of view is in a technique of transformation to house geographically suitable views.
Western dualism is an phantasm. fact is a dialectical cohesion of incarnate love during the of the probabilities of divine and human, spirit and topic, Self and different. The ancient improvement to this metaphysical view is investigated intensive. Incarnation is a “legitimate pantheism. ” Similarities to the Aum, the Tao, Rastafari and the “New Physics” also are supplied.
Instead of equip atheists with methods of realizing and working with arguments for God, the hot Atheists would depart them solely in need of. fortunately, their method of faith isn’t the one method to be had to us. There are philosophical methods to faith. There aren’t in simple terms methods of facing theistic arguments, yet there are methods of devising arguments for atheism.
- Wir Epigonen: Kultur und Kulturstaat (German Edition)
- Love and Saint Augustine
- Critical Realism and Spirituality (New Studies in Critical Realism and Spirituality (Routledge Critical Realism))
- Constructive Pneumatological Hermeneutics in Pentecostal Christianity (Christianity and Renewal - Interdisciplinary Studies)
Additional resources for Al-Ghazali and the Qur'an: One Book, Many Meanings (Culture and Civilization in the Middle East)